Wednesday 5 May 2010

Week 21 Managing Performance

Appraisal

– I had an appraisal once at work, it was more of a discussion about how I am working and if I want training in anything and if I am happy overall. The appraisal lasted about 15mins and I don’t think it was of any relevance as it did not discuss and future plans or any changes that may need to be made. It did not high light my strengths or weaknesses.
There was no real output of the meeting.

Skills needed to be an effective mentor
  • To be a good listener: more specifically an "active" listener This involves tuning in to what your mentor is saying, giving them your complete concentration, and waiting patiently for them to finish, without diving in or making assumptions about what they are likely to say
  • The effective mentor gently probes to understand the relevant issues, asks open-ended and fact-seeking questions and understands that silence is useful when information is being digested or breathing space is needed. Questions should be used to obtain information and/or steer the discussion in a particular direction. "Appreciative" listening is also important - the need to understand words and events as the mentee perceives them and with the meanings the mentee attaches to them.
  • It is important for mentors to convey understanding through feedback, reflecting back the mentee’s feelings and accurately summarising or paraphrasing their thought processes.
    The main skill needed to be an effective mentor is to have excellent communication skills and a lot of patience.

    (Exemplas realising potential)
    http://www.exemplas.com/Skills-and-Training/Mentoring--Coaching/Being-a-good-mentor/


    I have had my parents as mentors – they have and continue to provide me with great support and are always willing to listen to me whenever I need.
    This has helped me and encouraged me to exceed and meet my goals as I know I have support at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment